-
December 27th, 2005, 05:06 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I bought my Ugg-like boots at a local shoe store that's owned by a friend of ours. He told me that surfers (I guess also those in California) like to get out of the water and stick their feet in these types of boots, wet and barefoot. I guess that since they are real wool and leather, they breathe and don't stay wet. Also, the wool fleece is so thick that you can't even get them on if you try to wear socks. And they are plenty warm enough without socks, even in Chicago weather.
Joy
-
December 27th, 2005, 05:26 PM
#2
Inactive Member
ugg boots are a surfer thing that has crossed over to most people wanting ugg boots. They are great at keeping to toes warm on very cold days. I think the little blue boots go great with Kailey and the berrie boots go great with Jess. But could be used with any doll. Which is why I think they have them in accessories. They are so cute. If you get the boots and Jess's pjs that is a grand total of $30. You can use the $10 dollars off and only pay $5 for the boots. (Shipping is just about $5.00.) Got to love that.
-
December 27th, 2005, 05:27 PM
#3
Inactive Member
I have never seen anyone wear boots to the beach, and I asked my sister the same question yesterday, cuz she lives near the beach and goes there often. She said that she's never seen anyone wear boots to the beach and was suggesting that maybe it was an East Coast thing or something? But I was wondering what was was up with calling them "Beach Boots" too!
-
December 27th, 2005, 06:51 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I live in CA, and go to the beach all the time, especially surfer beaches (since I like eto body board). I have NEVER seen anyone wearing these boots at the beach. However, on campus, I see girls wearing them all the time with jeans and miniskirts. So it would make a good accessory, if you like the look (personally, I don't really. I think they make girls' legs look heavy and clunky and are impractical for LA heat.)
It seems silly to stick your feet in boots to dry when you can bury them in hot sand and get the job done for free. Maybe our water isn't as cold as Australia's? Or maybe our surfers aren't as hardcore and don't surf as much in the winter.
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ December 27, 2005 02:52 PM: Message edited by: only1genevieve ]</font>
-
December 27th, 2005, 08:14 PM
#5
GreyMyst
Guest
I wear my Uggs to the beach, but then I wear them just about everywhere. [img]wink.gif[/img] I am wearing them with my Pajamas right now.
I really wish AG would do them in the sand color though. It is the most popular color of real Uggs, and matches way more outfits than pink or robin egg blue does.
-
December 27th, 2005, 09:53 PM
#6
Inactive Member
As others have said on this thread, they are based on the trendy Ugg boots which were once used in Australia by surfers (according to some... others say that farmers and 'outback' sort of people once used them) but regardless, they became hugely popular back in California a few years ago when a company called Ugg Australia started marketing them in the U.S. Kate Hudson, Britney Spears, and Oprah have all made them popular amongst trendsetters, fashion victims, and 20-somethings like myself (especially on college campuses). In Montreal, where I go to school, they've been hugely popular for more practical reasons: they are incredibly warm and keep my feet dry like no other shoe/boot! I wear them in subzero temperatures, and I really like them because I love to wear skirts but usually it's too cold in the winter... but I find that with a thick pair of tights and my Uggs, I can usually get by wearing a skirt even in way-below freezing weather! So, Canadians use them for more practical reasons... but I guess they're still trendy even in warmer areas of the country. [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
December 27th, 2005, 11:27 PM
#7
Inactive Member
I don't know why those berry Uggs are in Jess's collection. There is no mention or illustrations of her wearing ANY boots in the story. She nearly always wears sandals or sneakers.
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ December 27, 2005 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Katie from IL ]</font>
-
December 28th, 2005, 04:25 AM
#8
Inactive Member
I noticed Jess has berry-colored beach boots, and the AGoT dolls have light blue beach boots. Do people wear boots when they go to the beach? Is this something I need to get for Jess? Since I live in a land-locked state, I don't know about these things. When we go to the beach/Gulf of Mexico, we generally wear flip-flops.
-
December 28th, 2005, 04:47 AM
#9
Inactive Member
I live near the beach and I have NEVER seen anyone wear boots on the beach. That's just here in NJ, I don't know about anywhere else.
I do know that originally Uggs were boots worn by surfers in Australia. They were originally pieces of shearling tied together around the surfers' legs and feet. This was the fastest way for them to get warmed up after surfing in the cooler months. They were called "Uggs" because they were so ugly.
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ December 27, 2005 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie31802 ]</font>
-
December 28th, 2005, 04:59 AM
#10
HB Forum Owner
Thanks for that information, Stephanie. I was clueless about Uggs, even tho we have them for the dolls. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks